Italian Almond Cake Recipe
The Test Kitchen uses almond flour although you can toast and grind or food process your own blanched almonds. This could also be prepared as a mix (minus the butter, sugar, eggs, and milk) and stored in the freezer.14 oz almond flour Pinch salt 1 tsp xanthan gum 1 1/8 cups gluten free oat flour (or 3/4 cup gluten free flour mix) 1/2 tsp baking powder 8 Tbsp (1 stick) butter (room temperature) 1 1/4 cups sugar (8 3/4 oz) 3 large eggs 1/2 cup whole milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9 inch spring form pan (or cake pan in a pinch) with vegetable oil spray and line bottom with parchment paper.
- Add almond flour, salt, xanthan gum, gluten free flour, and baking powder to bowl and stir/whisk to combine.
- Cream butter and sugar using and electric hand mixer until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, mixing until incorporated. Add the dry flour mixture and beat until just incorporated. Add milk and beat until just incorporated.
- Pour batter into the greased pan and lightly smooth the top.
- Bake (30-40 minutes) until cake is golden and a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool cake on rack for 15 minutes before removing and cooling to room temperature.
- Store at room temperature for up to 5 days or freeze for up to 1 month. Serve at room temperature or warmed briefly in the oven or microwave. Excellent with ice cream or creme anglaise.